Friday, June 10, 2011

Homemade Onion Chutney

If you're anything like me, the Onion Chutney at Indian restaurants often ends up being more of a side-dish than a condiment... I LOVE Onion Chutney, but when I get takeout it's hard to brave the annoyed looks of the cashiers as I keep asking for extra... And so, I decided to take matters into my own hands, and make my own. With an unlimited supply, the possibilities are endless. This stuff is great on everything from Indian Food to scrambeled eggs. And to top it all off, it takes about 5 minutes to make.

What are you waiting for?



Onion Chutney
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 2 cloves pressed garlic
- 1/3 c apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 c Chili Sauce
- 1 tsp each: Onion Powder, Curry, Cumin, Corriander, Chili Powder

Mix Chili Sauce with spices. In a small saucepan, heat 1 tbsp vegetable oil and then add onions. Stir constantly to prevent onions from cooking too much and add onion powder and a dash of salt and then the vinegar. The vinegar should evaporate fast, and you don't want to cook your onions much - they should still be crunchy. Turn heat off and stir in your Chili Sauce mixture, transfer to a jar and let cool before capping and refridgerating. This should keep for weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment