Wednesday, July 13, 2011

PB and Joy


Everybody has that one food that is always in the back of their minds, teasing them, whispering insistently into cravings that can last for days! For lots of people, it's chocolate, but for me it's Peanut Butter, and more specifically, its harmonious, divine manifestation as the ubiquitous PB and J sandwich.
But wait! I said that I LOVE Peanut Butter, and I meant it damnit! So don't get to thinking that I just smack some smuckers and skippy together on any old bread and call it a sandwich. No, no, my friend. I have been known to spend 10 to 15 minutes putting together a PB and J, adding stuff, toasting read, chilling in the fridge, etc...
I still have not decided what I like best; a sandwich of crunchy toasted bread straight from the toaster that just warms/melts the PB and J, or an untoasted sandwich that's been sitting in the fridge for a few hours, the bread having turned a little mushy with all the Peanut Buttery and Jelly goodness...
I'm getting carried away, but seriously, let me know what you think.
I'm going to use this post to document the different concoctions I make over time, and any tried-and trues I've had in the past.
Finally, let me begin by laying down some RULES, or strong suggestions at least for proper
PB and Jaying:
- Use good Peanut Butter (i prefer crunchy, but not huge chunks of peanut - go for Whole Foods grind-it-yourself honey roasted. it is the shiznittlebamsnipsnapsnap)
- Jam kicks Jelly's ass
- Lay it on thick
- ALWAYS enjoy with a glass of milk or a coffee

DIVINE INSPIRATION:
Cereal Killer
(PB and J + cereal of choice, like granola)
A Raisin in the Bun (PB and J + raisins or dried fruit of choice)
Figgin' Awesome
(PB + Fig Spread)
Blues Bros
(PB + Blueberry Jam +Blueberries)
Cinna Mon (PB and Honey + Cinnamon and Ginger)
GORPwich (PB + Mashed Banana + Raisins and M&Ms)
Old Snappy (PB and J + Sharp Cheddar Cheese) (trust me, it's good)
The King (No fluffernutter is complete without slice banana)
The PB and Fruitwich (see post)
Noreaster (PB + Raisins + Maple Syrup/Spread)

SNACK,crackle,pop
-
Cereal Killer with rice krispies
- homemade strawberry jam



















PB Jammwhich

- 2 thin slices leftover Peanut Butter Bread, toasted
- Homemade Blueberry Jam












PB Hall of Fame:
-
Whole Foods grind-it-yourself honey roasted peanut butter

- PB2 powdered peanut butter

- Skippy Natural Chunky (i grew up a Skippy kid, and this has no hydrogenated oils)

No comments:

Post a Comment