Friday, May 20, 2011

The PB+Fruitwhich

Since I'm on a breakfast kick, I want to post a favorite morning sandwich that I made up. I should tell you here that I am a peanut butter maniac, and it has a special and disproportionate place in my heart. PB and J, PB and Banana, PB and Fluff... i could go on forever. But before I forget, go buy yourself a pound of Whole Foods' grind-yourself Honey Roasted Peanut Butter. Trust me, all PBs are not created equal, and this is the king of them all!
The funny thing is that this sandwich actually grew out of the first fruitwich that I invented, the CinnaSwiss Breakfast Panini, which replaces the peanut butter with spreadable Swiss Cheese.
But this concoction, combining my love for PB with the use of old bananas and any other on-the-verge fruit, has quickly replaced it's predecessor as my go-to breakfast. This + a cup of strong coffee makes you want to seize the day and kick its ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(I kid... but really it's delicious!)

PB BANANABERRY FRUITWICH

- 2 slices Whole Wheat Bread
- Honey Roasted Peanut Butter
- 1 ripe banana
- Blackberries (or whatever you have)
- Cinnamon
- Butter-flavored cooking spray

Mash the banana with cinnamon, leaving a few chunks if you're a cool guy. Toast your bread till just a little toasty, but still soft and then spread one slicee with as much PB as you can handle and spread the other with your mashed banana. You can mash the berries or just leave them whole, but in either case put them on top of the PB slice and then close it all up with the banana slice on top. Spray a skillet with your cooking spray and brown the sandwich on each side, squashing it down a little after you flip it. Put it on a plate, cut it in half, dip it in your coffee, and fall in love.

variations: use any kind of berry you want, or any other fruit for that matter (apples, raisins, etc.), substitute honey, maple syrup or jam for the fruit, or become my hero and make this sandwich, dip it in egg, and make yourself the most ridiculous frenchtoastwich this world has ever seen!



No comments:

Post a Comment